These funfetti chocolate chip cake mix bars are the simplest cake bars you’ll ever make. These come up fast with just a few ingredients and are juicy and chewy. This is a delicious and simple treat to prepare for the family.
Hello there! Before you browse, there’s a lot of vital information in this article!includes the FAQ section, which may help you with any queries you have regarding this recipe. Enjoy!
I adore these cake mix bars because they’re not only delicious (and irresistible), but they’re also simple to create and don’t need many ingredients.
If you need to throw together a fast treat, these are the way to go, and the flavor choices are limitless.
- Let’s Talk About Some of The Ingredients in These Bars:
- Mixing Method for These Cake Bars:
- Tips & FAQs for the Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bars:
- Supplies Used to Make These Bars:
- Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bars
- How many eggs do you need for Funfetti cake mix?
- What does Funfetti cake mix taste like?
- How long do you bake Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix?
- Does Funfetti cake mix come with frosting?
- What happens if you add an extra egg to a box cake mix?
- Can I use milk instead of water in Funfetti cake mix?
- How to make boxed cakes better?
- How do you make a cake mix taste like it came from a bakery?
- Which cake mix is more moist?
- How to make Pillsbury cake mix taste better?
Let’s Talk About Some of The Ingredients in These Bars:
Cake mix: For this, you’ll need a vanilla, french vanilla, or white cake mix. You could probably use any flavor, but if you want funfetti cake bars, you’ll want to use a light colored cake mix so the fun colors shine through.
Melted Butter: For this recipe, I used unsalted butter. See my remarks on it in the tips and faq section below.
Vanilla Extract: This just enhances the taste.
small semi-sweet chocolate chips: I enjoy using small chips in this recipe since they don’t all sink to the bottom and the size is just right for these bars.
Jimmies in rainbow colors: These will be used to create the funfetti effect. Jimmies seem to perform better than little round rainbow sprinkles, which leak color quite a bit. (To get a closeup of the sprinkles I used, see the video in the recipe card below.)
Mixing Method for These Cake Bars:
Oh my goodness, the combining process for these things is ridiculously simple. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except the chocolate chips and sprinkles) and beat with an electric mixer.
Once that’s fully combined, stir in the chocolate chips and sprinkles by hand.
Tips & FAQs for the Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bars:
To keep the funfetti colors visible after baking, use vanilla cake, French vanilla cake, or white cake mix. You can, of course, use any flavor of cake mix and it will still taste delicious.
Unsalted butter is often used in baking. If you can’t locate it, salted butter will suffice. I haven’t tried this recipe using margarine, so I’m not sure how it would turn out.
You can use circular sprinkles, but I’ve noticed that they cause more color bleed.
They will still be a touch soft, which is OK. If you bake them for too long, they will become hard and crispy as they cool.
If you don’t let these bars get to room temperature before cutting them, they won’t be hard enough and you’ll have a mess on your hands. However, you do not need to chill them in the refrigerator; just place them on a rack to cool at room temperature.
There are affiliate links in this post. I earn money as an Amazon Associate by making qualifying purchases.
Supplies Used to Make These Bars:
- Large glass mixing bowl
- Silicone spatulas these or these (similar)
- Electric hand mixer
- Mini chocolate chips
- Rainbow jimmies (similar)
- 139 inch glass pan
- Baking racks
Ok lets get to the recipe!
***I write recipes in volume (cup) measures since that is what people in the United States are accustomed to seeing and using. Click the metric button beneath the ingredients in the recipe card to get weight in metric measures. The weights are converted by a software, not by me, and the results are an educated approximation. Please keep in mind that while I prepare recipes in cups, I cannot guarantee that weighing the components will provide the same results.
Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Bars
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (or French vanilla cake mix or white cake mix)
- 2large eggs
- cupmelted unsalted butter
- 2teaspoonvanilla extract
- 1cupmini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cuprainbow jimmies (use jimmies instead of circular sprinkles since round sprinkles might bleed color into your bars)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 139-inch glass pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Mix in the small chocolate chips and sprinkles using a spoon or a rubber spatula. The batter will be quite thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Press the batter evenly in the pan using a rubber spatula or spoon. (It helps if you coat your spoon or spatula with nonstick spray to keep it from sticking to the batter.)
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool the bars entirely in the pan on a room temperature cooling rack. Allow the bars to cool fully before cutting to avoid a sloppy mess.
Other Posts You Might Like:
- Oreo Insanity Cake
- Gooey Funfetti Filled Cupcakes
- Funfetti Bundt Cake (A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe)
How many eggs do you need for Funfetti cake mix?
2 cup oil; 4 egg whites.4 cups water; 12 cups egg replacement (in place of the eggs) or White Egg Recipe: 1-12 cup oil; 3 whole eggs (may be substituted if desired); 1Everything You Need: Recipe for Whole Eggs: 1 cup of water
What does Funfetti cake mix taste like?
Funfetti has a strong vanilla flavor and a moist texture that is ideal for icing. All the more reason to come up with unique birthday cake decoration ideas.
How long do you bake Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix?
Using water, oil, and eggs, prepare cake mix according to package guidelines. Divide equally between the prepared pans. 13–16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Does Funfetti cake mix come with frosting?
340mg sodium (14 % DV). Sugar content is 18g. For information on prepared products, see nutrition facts. Frosting is not provided.
What happens if you add an extra egg to a box cake mix?
Include an Extra Egg
Just one additional egg will provide moisture, fat, and protein, making the cake softer and less prone to overbake and dry out in the oven.
Can I use milk instead of water in Funfetti cake mix?
When your box mix specifies for liquid, add MILK, not water. The milk gives your combination solidity, fat, and, most importantly, taste.
How to make boxed cakes better?
8 Simple Tips & Tricks to Improve Box Cake
Ingredients should be at room temperature.
Substitute milk or buttermilk for the water.
In the Mix, substitute Sour Cream.
Oil may be used in place of butter.
Increase the number of eggs.
Pour in the Vanilla Extract.
Make a Chocolate Lovers’ Cake out of it.
Make Your Cake Look Like A Pro.
How do you make a cake mix taste like it came from a bakery?
The only instructions to remember are that you must use whatever is specified on the back of the box:
Add another egg if desired.
Replace the water with the equal quantity of milk.
Melted butter may be used in lieu of the oil. DOUBLE the quantity.
Cook according to the instructions on the package.
Which cake mix is more moist?
As a skilled baker, I was pleased with both the Pillsbury and Betty Crocker crumb, but Betty Crocker has a more equal texture, greater taste, and is moister. The fact that Betty Crocker is the cheapest cake mix we tested—just $1.65 a box—is a huge plus for me.
How to make Pillsbury cake mix taste better?
8 Different Ways to Make Boxed Cake Mix Taste of Home
Replace the oil with melted butter.
Swap Water for Dairy.
Supplement with extracts.
Mix with some sour cream or mayonnaise.
Mix in the nuts.
Make your own icing.
Fillings should be layered on top.
Make a Poke Cake out of it.