This homemade chocolate spice cake would look great on your holiday dessert table. This handmade chocolate cake recipe, spiced with cinnamon and allspice, will become a family favorite.
Hello there! Before you browse, there’s a lot of vital information in this article!includes the FAQ section, which may help you with any queries you have regarding this recipe. Enjoy!
What you may not know about me is that I am not a great lover of chocolate cake. I was shocked. So I may have to reconsider that judgement.
This cake is my absolute favorite. It has just enough spices to give it a Christmas flavor without being overbearing.
The result is a rich, chocolaty cake with a tinge of Christmas spices.
The glaze on this cake is really fantastic. It’s a fudgy glaze with a touch of the same spices as the cake.
- A LOOK AT SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
- MIXING METHOD FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
- TIPS & FAQs FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
- Chocolate Spice Cake
- What spices work well with chocolate?
- What is spice cake made of?
- How to make a Mary Berry chocolate cake?
- What is a spicy cake called?
- What spice brings out chocolate flavor?
- What intensifies chocolate flavor?
- What is the most delicious cake in the world?
- Why is my spice cake dry?
- What is in Elvis Presley cake?
A LOOK AT SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
All-purpose flour: This recipe calls for normal all-purpose flour, so no need to run out and buy cake flour or anything else.
Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder adds a nice chocolate punch to this recipe. You want to use genuine unsweetened cocoa powder, not Dutch processed cocoa powder; the difference is significant.
Cinnamon, allspice, and cloves are the spices in the Chocolate Spice Cake, and they go so well with chocolate. It only adds a little flavor and transforms the chocolate cake into something out of the usual.
Brown Sugar: I prefer to use brown sugar in chocolate cakes because it adds depth to the taste.
We used both butter and oil in the recipe. For taste, use butter, and add a little oil for moisture.
Hot Coffee: This will enhance the taste of the chocolate. However, your cake will NOT taste like coffee, and if you dislike the notion of coffee, just use very hot water instead.
MIXING METHOD FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
This cake’s mixing procedure is a modification of the standard creaming process.
Simply combine the dry ingredients first, followed by the liquid components. Whip the sugar and butter until smooth, then alternately add the dry and wet components. After it has been combined, add the hot coffee.
TIPS & FAQs FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
This cake is moist and may easily cling to the pan if not adequately greased and floured. If you don’t have a bundt pan, you may use two 8-inch circular pans.
It should not be microwaved or melted. Set it out an hour before you want to bake the cake.
You should use unsweetened natural cocoa powder. The acids have been eliminated from Dutch processed cocoa powder. Because this recipe contains baking soda, the acids in ordinary cocoa powder are required; otherwise, your cake may not rise correctly and the texture may be wrong.
When measuring brown sugar, just compress it into a measuring cup.
Using coffee brings out the chocolate flavor and spices in the cake without making it taste like coffee. If you don’t have any coffee or don’t want to use it, you may substitute extremely hot water, but don’t leave out the liquid.
There are affiliate links in this post. I earn money as an Amazon Associate by making qualifying purchases.
SUPPLIES USED FOR THE CHOCOLATE SPICE CAKE:
- White mixing bowl set
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- Large Glass KitchenAid Mixing Bowl
- KitchenAid Beater Attachment
- Hand Mixer
- Measuring Set
- Bundt Pan
Let’s get to the recipe now! Don’t forget to watch the video as well!
***I write recipes in volume (cup) measures since that is what people in the United States are accustomed to seeing and using. Click the metric button beneath the ingredients in the recipe card to get weight in metric measures. The weights are converted by a software, not by me, and the results are an educated approximation. Please keep in mind that while I prepare recipes in cups, I cannot guarantee that weighing the components will provide the same results.
Chocolate Spice Cake
For the cake:
- 2cupsall purpose flour
- 1cupnatural cocoa powder(not dutch processed)
- 1 teaspoonbaking powder
- 1teaspoonbaking soda
- 1 teaspooncinnamon
- teaspoonground cloves
- 1cuppacked brown sugar
- 1cupgranulated sugar
- cupunsalted butter(1 stick-room temperature)
- cupvegetable or canola oil
- 2teaspoonvanilla bean paste(or vanilla extract)
- 1cupmilk(preferably whole milk)
- 3large eggs
- 1cuphot coffee(or hot water)
For the glaze:
- 3cupsconfectioners sugar
- cupunsalted butter(1 stick)
- 4tablespooncocoa powder
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a mixing dish. Set away after thoroughly whisking.
- Separately, combine the oil, vanilla, milk, and eggs. (The coffee will be added later.) Place aside.
- Combine the room temperature butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large mixing basin. For roughly two minutes, beat on medium.
- just till mixed on medium. At this stage, it will be a bit crumbly. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
Now alternately add your dry and liquid components. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low
- Add half of the liquid components (excluding the coffee) and mix on medium until mixed. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
- Mix in the last third of the flour mixture, followed by the second half of the liquid mixture, just until incorporated. Now, add the remaining third of the flour mixture and whisk until barely incorporated. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
- Mix in the hot coffee until completely blended. Don’t over-blend. Stop mixing after everything is mixed. You don’t want to mix for more than a minute; that’s too lengthy. Scrape down the sides of the basin and mix for a few seconds longer.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes on a wire rack before turning out onto a cake dish to cool fully.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, apply the glaze on the top.
For the glaze:
- Add the three cups of confectioners sugar, teaspoon cinnamon and teaspoon allspice to a large mixing bowl and set aside. In a saucepan, add the cup (1 stick) butter, 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and the cup of milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk vigorously. The mixture may not be smooth and the butter may separate a bit. Don’t be concerned. Simply go to the next step. Pour the mixture over the three cups of confectioners sugar you added to your bowl. Mix in the vanilla extract using an electric mixer. Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool down for about 10-15 minutes or so. Pour over cooled cake. As the glaze cools, it will become firmer.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- German Chocolate Layer Cake
- One Bowl Triple Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Rum Cake with a Kick
- Double Chocolate Black Forest Cake
Dont Forget to Pin it Below!
What spices work well with chocolate?
Sea Salt is one of the top ten chocolate and spice pairings. Sea salt combines nicely with dark chocolate because it has a crunchy crunch that contrasts with the smooth smoothness of the chocolate.
Cinnamon. Ginger. Clove. Anise. Saffron. Curry. Cayenne.
What is spice cake made of?
This spice cake recipe, made with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, is a rich and savory treat you won’t be able to get enough of. Because of the mix of oil, applesauce, and buttermilk, this cake is rich, soft, and moist, and it melts in your mouth.
How to make a Mary Berry chocolate cake?
The cake’s ingredients.
50g cocoa, 2 oz.
6 tbsp boiling water.
2 tbsp milk.
Self-rising flour, 6 oz (175 g).
1 rounded tsp baking powder.
4oz (100g) baking spread for cakes or soft butter.
What is a spicy cake called?
Spice cake is a kind of cake commonly flavored with a spice blend. There are several ways to make the cake. Spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg are prominent flavorings. Cake with spices. Spice cake frosted with sea foam.
What spice brings out chocolate flavor?
Cinnamon. The earthy undertones of chocolate are brought out by the strength of this spice. It may be sprinkled into baked goods to enhance a winter theme. A nice cup of hot chocolate with a cinnamon dipping stick may improve any Christmas ambience.
What intensifies chocolate flavor?
Add espresso powder or instant coffee to taste.
A teaspoon or two of espresso powder or instant coffee granules is the easiest approach to enhance the chocolate taste in your baked products.
What is the most delicious cake in the world?
Recipes. The centerpiece of this wonderful layer cake filled with custard and whipped cream is sponge cake made with meringue and almonds. Kvaefjordkake was founded in the north of Norway and has acquired the moniker verdens beste, or “the best in the world.”
Why is my spice cake dry?
A dry cake is frequently the consequence of one of the following problems: using the incorrect ingredients, making mistakes when mixing the batter, or baking the cake at an excessively long or high temperature. Once you learn how to prevent typical cake-baking mistakes, you’ll be able to create a moist cake every time.
What is in Elvis Presley cake?
Elvis Presley cake is created using a basic yellow cake mix and pineapple pieces to create an exceptionally delicious cream cheese frosted cake with chopped pecans placed on top. Beginning with a cake mix and progressing to pineapple, homemade cream cheese frosting, and pecans.