Oh, that banana pudding, a Southern classic that is also quite tasty. What could possibly be better? It’s not much, but this banana pudding cake could come close. Yes, I’ve converted that Southern favorite into…cake!
Hello there! Before you browse, there’s a lot of vital information in this article!includes the FAQ section, which may help you with any queries you have regarding this recipe. Enjoy!
The bottom layer of this quick banana pudding cake is luscious banana cake, with a creamy banana pudding, cream cheese topping. The whole thing is then covered with vanilla wafers. Seriously, the finest banana pudding cake ever, and it combines the best of both worlds (banana pudding and cake)!
Here’s a pro tip: After you’ve added the vanilla wafers, put this dog in the fridge for a couple of hours. That way, when you’re ready to enjoy it, the vanilla wafers will have absorbed some of the topping and will be lovely and moist. So delicious!
- Let’s Talk About Some of the Ingredients in the Banana Pudding Cake:
- Mixing Method for this Cake:
- Tips & FAQs for the Banana Pudding Cake:
- Items & Tools Used to Make This Cake:
- Banana Pudding Cake
- What does pudding mix do to cake?
- Will banana pudding thicken in the refrigerator?
- What is cake pudding made of?
- What can I add to banana pudding to thicken it?
- Do bakers use box cake mix?
- How do you make a box cake taste like homemade?
- Do bananas go bad in banana pudding?
- Why is my banana pudding so watery?
- What is British pudding cake?
Let’s Talk About Some of the Ingredients in the Banana Pudding Cake:
Bananas: Obviously, bananas will be used in this banana cake. 3 mashed bananas are required. Use really ripe bananas.
Lemon Juice: You’ll only need a little amount of this. It will enhance the taste.
Instant Banana Pudding Mix: This will thicken the topping and add taste.
Cream Cheese: Okay, cream cheese improves everything, and adding it to the topping adds tang and creaminess.
Confectioners sugar, also known as powdered sugar, will provide sweetness and help firm up the topping.
Vanilla Wafers: These little biscuits are essential for making banana pudding. They’re particularly tasty after soaking up some of the delicious topping.
Mixing Method for this Cake:
This cake’s mixing process is as simple as it gets. In one dish, combine the dry ingredients; in another, combine the liquid components. After that, just combine the liquid and dry components and stir to combine. Simple as that.
The topping also comes together fast. Set aside after combining the pudding and milk. Then, until smooth, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, and cream cheese, followed by the pudding mixture.
Tips & FAQs for the Banana Pudding Cake:
Simply use medium-sized bananas. You’ll need around 3 bananas, which should provide about 1 cup of mashed bananas.
Spoon the flour into a measuring cup using a spoon. Do not immediately dip your measuring cup into the flour bag. This will compact the flour, resulting in an overabundance of flour in the cake batter, which may result in a dry and dense cake.
If you can find banana-flavored instant pudding, that’s ideal; if not, try the cheesecake, white chocolate, or vanilla flavor instead.
Dont use the type you have to cook.
Microwaving them will cause uneven heating and overheating. Simply let them out for approximately an hour to get to room temperature.
Items & Tools Used to Make This Cake:
There are affiliate links in this post. I earn money as an Amazon Associate by making qualifying purchases.
- Food Processor
- Large Glass Mixing Bowl
- 139 Inch Glass Baking Pan
- KitchenAid Mixer or a Hand Mixer
Ok, lets get to the recipe!
***I write recipes in volume (cup) measures since that is what people in the United States are accustomed to seeing and using. Click the metric button beneath the ingredients in the recipe card to get weight in metric measures. The weights are converted by a software, not by me, and the results are an educated approximation. Please keep in mind that while I prepare recipes in cups, I cannot guarantee that weighing the components will provide the same results.
Banana Pudding Cake
For the cake:
- 2 cupsall purpose flour
- 1teaspoonbaking soda
- 1 cupsbananas mashed(about 3 very ripe bananas)
- 1 cupssugar
- 1tablespoonlemon juice
- 2teaspoonvanilla extract
- cupvegetable oil
For the icing:
- 1small package instant banana pudding mix
- cupmilk(preferably whole milk)
- 18 oz.pkg. softened cream cheese
- 1cupsoftened butter(not melted)
- 5cupsconfectioners sugar
- 5oz vanilla wafer cookies (some whole, some crushed) (about a box)
For the cake:
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch glass pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set aside the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a bowl.
- In a separate dish, combine the sugar, eggs, bananas, lemon juice, vanilla essence, and oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding the topping.
For the icing:
- In a mixing dish, combine the banana pudding mix and the milk.
- Mix until thick and set aside.
- In a separate dish, combine the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Mix in the room temperature butter well. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar well.
- Add in the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Putting the cake together:
- Cover the cooled cake with the frosting. Place entire vanilla wafers around the perimeter of the cake and sprinkle smashed vanilla wafers over the remaining space.
- Refrigerate until cool. Allow the cake and frosting to rest for a few hours so the vanilla wafers may soften somewhat.
More banana recipes on the blog:
- Browned Butter Toffee Frosting on Banana Toffee Cake
- Hummingbird Cheesecake Topped Cupcakes
What does pudding mix do to cake?
Mix in some pudding: Combine a small box of pudding mix with the cake mix. (Do not prepare the pudding.) The mixture provides taste, moisture, and a denser texture.
Will banana pudding thicken in the refrigerator?
Refrigerate the pudding for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow it to thicken and firm.
What is cake pudding made of?
3 cup granulated sugar (150 mL).2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract.
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL).
22 cup granulated sugar (125 mL).
2 teaspoon cornstarch (10 mL).
Divide 12 cups (375 mL) milk.
What can I add to banana pudding to thicken it?
When it comes to thickeners, you have a terrific choice in the shape of cornstarch, which can be readily added to any pudding, from chocolate cake to cream pudding. The easiest technique to make a thick cornstarch pudding is to dissolve cornstarch in cold milk before adding any other ingredients.
Do bakers use box cake mix?
Many of the best bakers utilize boxed cake mixes, which may surprise you.
How do you make a box cake taste like homemade?
8 Different Ways to Make Boxed Cake Mix Taste of Home
Replace the oil with melted butter.
Swap Water for Dairy.
Supplement with extracts.
Mix with some sour cream or mayonnaise.
Mix in the nuts.
Make your own icing.
Fillings should be layered on top.
Make a Poke Cake out of it.
Do bananas go bad in banana pudding?
The skins should no longer be green, but they should also not have too many brown specks. However, you should not expect banana pudding to survive more than a day. Beyond that, the bananas will discolor wherever part of the pudding has been spooned out and exposed to air.
Why is my banana pudding so watery?
If you mix it too quickly, it will become too watery. If you mix it too little, the components will not blend properly. What exactly is this? It might be difficult to determine how much mixing is required to get the correct thickness of the pudding.
What is British pudding cake?
Puddings in the United Kingdom are often steamed, baked, or boiled sweets such as Christmas Pudding, Spotted Dick, or Summer Pudding. They’re similar to steamed cake in that they’re extremely moist, assume the form of the bowl or basin they’re cooked in, and have a ‘close’ feel – quite different from standard airy cake.